Subject: Re: What about startup scripts??
To: Al Snell <>
From: Dominik Rothert <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/30/2000 23:45:16
Al Snell <> wrote:

> installed packages to be managed centrally. NFS sharing the root
> filesystem has implications that people might want to avoid! Keeping
> everything out of the root partition makes it possible to have shared
> stuff, while still allowing a machine which has lost network to be able to
> boot and fix the networking...

That is only one of its advantages. What I really like of having
the base system separated from 3rd-party applications is, that I
can remove /usr/pkg (or whatever prefix is) and still have the same
NetBSD I installed.

/*  Dominik Rothert         |   *
 *  A S T O R I T           |  *
 *  Hohenzollernring 52     |       fon +49-221-251440  *
 *  50672 Cologne, Germany  |       fax +49-221-251443  */:wq!