Subject: Re: What about startup scripts??
To: Dominik Rothert <dr@astorit.com>
From: Al Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/30/2000 15:28:47
On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Dominik Rothert wrote:

> Hm, I don't think that is a good idea. We should distinguish between
> packages and system. If we start to mess up /etc with files based on
> packages... No, sorry.

Ok. A fundamental question here is: Do we want pkg startup scripts to be
in the rcorder list? (Regardless of issues realating to /usr not being
mounted etc). In other words, is my need to have xfstt start before xdm
best fulfilled in another way? Perhaps the "virtual targets" DAEMON,
LOGIN, NETWORK, and SERVERS can invoke (if they exist)
/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/<STAGE>/* and /usr/local/etc/rc.d/<STAGE>/* with
rcorder, where <STAGE> is the name of the stage being reached (LOGIN,
etc))?

Or maybe two rcorders can be run: The first one uses /etc/rc.d/* up to the
critical filesystems mounting (so it can handle NFS setup and all that),
and then another is run on /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d, /usr/local/etc/rc.d, and
/etc/rc.d.

The -k and -s flags to rcorder can implement this, but it seems a bit
ugly.

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell