Subject: Re: Volunteers wanted for NetBSD-FreshPorts interface
To: Dan Langille <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/28/2000 03:50:35
On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Dan Langille wrote:

Just making a few uneducated comments - I'm not very familiar with XML and
esp. DTD language:

	Message-Id="" Date="Sun, 24
	Dec 2000 02:54:59 -0800 (PST)" To="cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG,
	cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG" Sender="owner-cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG" Subject="cvs
	commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/tar prepend_args.c prepend_args.h
         Makefile tar.1 tar.c" />
	<FILE Path="src/gnu/usr.bin/tar/Makefile" Changes="+3
	-1" Revision="" Action="Modify" />

Wouldn't it be clearer to not stuff all that data as parameters into the
MESSAGE and FILE tags, but rather give them sub-items(or what's that

		<DATE>Sun, 24 Dec 2000 02:54:59 -0800 (PST)</DATE>
		<TO>cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG</TO>
		<SUBJECT>cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/tar prepend_args.c prepend_args.h Makefile tar.1 tar.c</SUBJECT>

I think you get the idea.

> > I'd say it's
> > rather difficult to gather that information,
> Sorry, I got lost here.  Which information is difficult to gather?  If it's in
> the source-changes mail, it can be parsed.  That's what FreshPorts
> does now.  That's what is being done to get the new XML data format.
> That coding should be done within the next 24 hours.

Hum, sounds like some fiddling, but as long as I'm not the one who has to
do it... ;-)

> > esp. as a commit may not
> > actually do any functional change (e.g. I just committed a text change to
> > a pkg/DESCR file), or a pkg upgrade may consist of several seperate
> > commits. Where is the line?
> Where is what line?  Sorry, I'm lost.

The line to differentiate between two pkg updates. But as you seem to use
this for something else than I thought initially - ignore me. ;)

> > I guess most people are interrested if a pkg is
> > updated what the changes are, and that's it. They'll update their source
> > then, and install the pkg. Or what is the exact idea behind this very
> > fine-grained update information?
> FreshPorts needs to know if any of the following have changed:
> Makefile, pkg-descr, pkg-comment.  They contain information which
> FreshPorts provides via the website.  If those files change, they need to
> bed extracted from the online repository and used to update the
> FreshPorts database.

OK. Please note that NetBSD still uses the "old" FreeBSD layout
(pkg/DESCR, patches/patch-*, ...).

> BTW: once a commit is done, are the files immediately avaiable via
> CVSweb?

No. I don't know how often cvsweb is updated, sorry.
Anoncvs is update every 6 hours or so. And I think for what you wand
(push-based updating), anoncvs would be best. At least the "cvs
rdiff" commands in the NetBSD commit mails can be used 1:1 to retrieve
patches. ;-)

There's an archive of NetBSD commit messages at, the pkgsrc commits all have a
subject of "CVS commit: pkgsrc". If you or whoever works on the mail2xml
script wants to take a stab at parsing that, that would be cool. I figure
it's probably rather easy to adopt an existing script, esp. when you're
familiar with it.  Ascii versions of these mails can be fetched from the
(outdated :/) archive at

One difference between the message formats just came to me - NetBSD does
not have a lines changed "-lines +lines" entry anywhere in that mail.

Let me know if I can be of any help...

 - Hubert

Hubert Feyrer <>