Subject: Re: Volunteers wanted for NetBSD-FreshPorts interface
To: Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/28/2000 00:46:05
On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Dan Langille wrote:
> The main reason for asking for a volunteer was twofold.  First, I'm
> preoccupied with getting the new version of the website functioning and
> need to delegate some tasks out  (for example, someone else is doing
> the FreeBSD/FreshPorts XML interface).  Second, I would prefer
> someone within the NetBSD community to provide the interface, for
> political, social, practical, and delegation reasons.

Well, you didn't tell us where we can find details on the new format
either. ;-)

Given that you basically want the information that goes into the
source-changes mails that are created on any CVS commit, I'd say it's
rather difficult to gather that information, esp. as a commit may not
actually do any functional change (e.g. I just committed a text change to
a pkg/DESCR file), or a pkg upgrade may consist of several seperate
commits. Where is the line?

BTW I think it's overkill to redo cvsweb in FreshPorts by providing exact
file/change information. I guess most people are interrested if a pkg is
updated what the changes are, and that's it. They'll update their source
then, and install the pkg. Or what is the exact idea behind this very
fine-grained update information?

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>