Subject: how to handle 2 CD's of binary pkgs.
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/19/2000 15:07:20
anyone have a good idea on how to handle 2 CD's worth of binary pkgs?  The
problem I have is this:

a complete pkgsrc build results in about 1.5 CD's worth of pkgs (depending
on which port).  So I have foo-1.0.tgz on CD1 and libbar-1.0.tgz on CD2
but only have 1 CD-ROM drive.  So I do

pkg_add /cdrom/All/foo-1.0.tgz and it fails because it doesn't find libbar
which it depends on.

now clearly I could figure out the right order and manually install the
depends, but it would be nice to have a simple tool that creates some sort
of directory for the CD set so it will say "please put CD#2 in the drive"
when its time.

thoughts?  A simple text file perhaps that looks like:

pkgname #1| cd name
pkgname #2| cd name
and a shell script which sorts out the dependency order and walks you
through each one?  The text file would be duplicated on each CD in the
set.

Thanks

-Dan