Subject: Re: xchat: gnome dependency
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/17/2000 16:17:09
On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> G'day,
>
> does anyone know why xchat depends on gnome in the pkgsrc? I've just
> built and installed xchat after commenting out the gnome dependency.
>
> This system runs kde and gnome isn't installed. Just wondering, as it
> seem to work fine here and there may be others who are in a similar
> situation that don't want to install gnome...

Perhaps there's a need to have something added to the Makefiles to say if
there's some package installed we can make use of it, eg in this case gnome.
if the package isn't installed a message is put up to the effect that extra
features maybe available if extra packages are available.

eg a CANUSE+=  gnome-core>=1.0.55:../../x11/gnome-core line if the package
can use it and the configure script autodetects.  However something more
complex would be needed to handle the case where extra flags are needed if
the package is available.

Chris