Subject: Re: Compiling pkg_install on freebsd/linux/solaris
To: David Brownlee <abs@purplei.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/15/2000 19:17:36
On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	I have a friend who is looking to automate package installation
> 	for his company across a set of NetBSD, FreeBSD, Linux (assorted)
> 	and Solaris (x86/sparc) machines.
>
> 	FreeBSD one would hope should pretty much Just Work, modulus
> 	an updated make and maybe a couple of other tools. Solaris has
> 	Zoularis, but what is the state of play with respect to Linux?
>
> 	I wondered if any move had been made towards getting pkg_install
> 	to compile and install on other systems without requiring zolaris
> 	or similar (assuming md5, db, and other libraries are already
> 	present)...

I have a autoconfig'd version of pkg_* and friends that does work on
Solaris x86 and some others, see http://www.feyrer.de/hfpkg/ for a bit
more info. Right now development has stalled. If your friend's company is
interrested in funding further development, let me know ASAP.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>