Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc
To: Nick Hudson <>
From: Dr. Rene Hexel <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/07/2000 22:01:31
Nick Hudson wrote:

> > Note that -release should not be used in libtool - says Rene :)
> This isn't the correct thing to do... -version-info should always be
> used and then release will not cause problems.

  I'm beginning to get confused here.  With libmadplay, Charles told me
to use '-version-info 0:0' to add a '.0.0' version suffix to the shared
library.  I did, but it didn't change a thing (i.e., no '.0.0' suffix
was added under ELF).  The suffix only got added when I removed the
'-release' option.

  So either

  - libtool-1.3.5nb9 is broken and should add the '.0.0' suffix in any
case (if '-version' is present), or

  - the '.0.0' suffix is only required for shared libraries under
a.out.  In this case, our automatic shared library handling in needs to be fixed to avoid different PLISTs for ELF/a.out