Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc
To: Nick Hudson <nick@nthcliff.demon.co.uk>
From: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@vip.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/07/2000 22:01:31
Nick Hudson wrote:

> > Note that -release should not be used in libtool - says Rene :)
>
> This isn't the correct thing to do... -version-info should always be
> used and then release will not cause problems.

  I'm beginning to get confused here.  With libmadplay, Charles told me
to use '-version-info 0:0' to add a '.0.0' version suffix to the shared
library.  I did, but it didn't change a thing (i.e., no '.0.0' suffix
was added under ELF).  The suffix only got added when I removed the
'-release' option.

  So either

  - libtool-1.3.5nb9 is broken and should add the '.0.0' suffix in any
case (if '-version' is present), or

  - the '.0.0' suffix is only required for shared libraries under
a.out.  In this case, our automatic shared library handling in
bsd.pkg.mk needs to be fixed to avoid different PLISTs for ELF/a.out

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene