Subject: Re: useradd is useless for creating system users
To: None <>
From: Johnny C. Lam <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/07/2000 15:17:48
[ removed because it's no longer relevant]

Hubert Feyrer <> writes:
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > Problem is, what are you going to do on 1.5 or earlier, or current
> > machines which don't have that fix yet?
> Update pkgsrc/sysutils/user?

We'll need to do some dance with `ident /usr/sbin/user' to check that
at least a specific version of user exists.  Should we create a
USES_USER variable in to centralize the check?  At least
three packages (amanda, postgresql, cups) create users, and possibly
other packages as well.

     -- Johnny C. Lam <>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University