Subject: Re: Update to last message
To: None <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
From: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@vip.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/29/2000 08:14:13
Greg Earle wrote:

> If I download the latest pkgsrc.tar.gz file, do I always have to assume
> that, to build software from it, I have to be running -current with
> the latest include files and the latest /usr/share/mk?

  No.  Even a -current pkgsrc should always work with the latest NetBSD
release.  The occasional package may not be working with specific
versions (or architectures) of NetBSD, but that should always be
documented.  Of course, the older the NetBSD version you are running,
the higher the chance, that a package may not be building/running (due
to lack of testing).

> It would be nice if there was some way to tag things somehow such that
> either the "make" yields "This package requires NetBSD 1.5_ALPHA or newer
> to compile" on older systems, or the installation of a patch is detected

  That's the general idea.  In the case of CMSG*, this was just an
oversight that's fixed by now.

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene