Subject: Update to last message
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/28/2000 19:42:09
I've found the cause of the problem I described in the last message.

The two things that were unreferenced (CMSG_SPACE, CMSG_LEN) are additions to
<sys/socket.h> that have occurred in between NetBSD 1.4.3 and NetBSD 1.5_BETA2.

While I can hack around it, this begs an obvious question, regarding the
skew between the Packages distribution and the OS you're running.

If I download the latest pkgsrc.tar.gz file, do I always have to assume
that, to build software from it, I have to be running -current with
the latest include files and the latest /usr/share/mk?  (Yes, this is
somewhat of a rhetorical question.)

This is a Catch-22 situation - if I stick with the pkgsrc.tgz that comes
with the release of the OS that I'm running, I know that I can compile
stuff out of the box, and it will work.  But once the packages are updated
to newer versions, I want to upgrade them.  To upgrade them, I have to
grab a newer pkgsrc.  And I get into situations much like the one I'm in
now - when a patch to a package depends on one running the (nearly) latest OS.

It would be nice if there was some way to tag things somehow such that
either the "make" yields "This package requires NetBSD 1.5_ALPHA or newer
to compile" on older systems, or the installation of a patch is detected
to be OS-release dependant, such that references to symbols which don't
exist in older versions of the OS aren't inserted into the package code -
unless one is running the right OS or newer.

Or am I just pipedreaming here?

	- Greg