Subject: Re: utilizing SMP machines
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Al B. Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/27/2000 23:01:24
On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> I still don't understand where you see a need for locking with what I
> suggested. Please explain.

There's a need for locking with what *I* sugested, not what you
suggested... I'd like locks on package makes anyway, in order to deal with
the fact that I often decide I want to install a bunch of packages at
once, and don't want to have to remember the contents of the bunch until
after installing the first package. I'd like to open a million screen
sessions and install a package in each. I can do this currently, as long
as the package dependencies don't intersect.

If package-level make locks existed, then the packages a package depends
on could be made in parallel, with the target package wait()ing on the
completion of the children before proceeding.

> P.S.: /usr/bin/shlock

Hmmm... not quite the version I remember, but I may be confused.

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell
 http://www.alaric-snell.com/  http://RFC.net/  http://www.warhead.org.uk/