Subject: Re: Nethack - x11tiles
To: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.demon.co.uk>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/26/2000 02:37:50
On Sat Nov 25 2000 at 18:39:50 +0000, Julian Coleman wrote:

> Rediscovered nethack (after playing the Atari version in the dim and distant
> past).  Installed the X11 version.  No pretty graphics ;-(
>
> So, nethack-lib is built without xpm and builds and installs x11tiles in
> 'nethack' format.  Then, nethack-x11 is built with xpm and can't parse the
> tiles file.
>
> I thought about moving the x11tiles file out of nethack-lib and into
> nethack-x11.  But then what about the qt (and gnome) frontends?  The other
> alternative was to make nethack-lib depend on xpm, which I didn't think was
> very good for nethack-tty.

AFAIK nethack-x11 doesn't have pretty graphics, it's just the ascii
version but with x11 windows popping in and out all the time. IMHO it's
pretty annoying to play and I prefer a simple xterm-based solution.

If you want ``pretty'' graphics, try nethack-qt.

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>          v          Of course he runs NetBSD
http://www.iki.fi/pooka/             i            http://www.NetBSD.org/