Subject: Re: 1.5/i386 pkg set revisited
To: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@vip.at>
From: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/21/2000 23:09:39
Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks to Dr Rene for this email and everyone
else who helped me over the last few days.

I've now got gnome, for the sake of some of it's apps, AND gv
installed successfully.

The solution was to delete all packages then install from scratch
using the binary packages. But this time install gnome before gv!
I noticed gnome actually requesting freetype-lib-1.3.1 the latest
one along the way! Which means it actually preferred the latest
one along with gv all along. The dependency line stating
freetype-lib-1.2 was simply wrong. Ended up causing a mountain
of hassles. But never mind.

thx again ,
chow,
Paul.

"Dr. Rene Hexel" wrote:

> "Paul (NCC/CS)" wrote:
>
> > This is fantastic news. Do you mean that if I unpack the gnome
> > binary package and take the freetype-lib dependency out of the
> > makefile, that it will then install no problem??? Will this work?
>
>   It should.  I'm running gv-3.5.8 together with freetype-lib-1.3.1 and
> gnome-core-1.2.3 (and all of its dependencies) without problems.
>
> > Also I couldn't find the directory " .../NetBSD-1.5/source" on any
> > server. Could you say again the full path of where I could get this old
> > pkgsrc file please? I hope to get it installed using the binary package
>
>   Since NetBSD-1.5 is not out yet, I don't believe that there is an
> 1.5-specific pkgsrc available.  However, you can use anoncvs (instead of
> ftp) to checkout the corresponding version (just make sure you have the
> 'cvs' package installed):
>
>   cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot login
>
>   Enter 'anoncvs' at the password prompt, then
>
>   cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot checkout -r
> netbsd-1-5-RELEASE pkgsrc
>
>   (sorry for my mailer breaking this up: each 'cvs' line should be a
> single line).  This should give you a new 'pkgsrc' directory in your
> current directory.  Make sure, however, that you move away any old
> 'pkgsrc' there, or this will fail!
>
>   Cheers
>       ,
>    Rene