Subject: Re: Checking for packages not listed in category SUBDIRs
To: David Brownlee , Reed Shadgett <>
From: Alistair Crooks <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/16/2000 03:43:03
On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:57:43 +0000 (GMT), David Brownlee wrote:

>  	I've just added an option to lintpkgsrc to check for package
>  	directories not listed in the appropriate category SUBDIR list.
>  	Current offenders are:
>  	    misc/freewnn-common: Not in SUBDIR
>  	    emulators/compat11: Not in SUBDIR
>  	    sysutils/mkisofs: Not in SUBDIR
>  	    mail/mutt-current: Not in SUBDIR
>  	    pkgtools/pax: Not in SUBDIR
>  	    pkgtools/pkg_install: Not in SUBDIR
>  	    pkgtools/xpkgwedge: Not in SUBDIR
>  	I can understand some of these should be be built in the 'bulk case',
>  	but this means they currently lack README.html files and entries
>  	in category README.html files.
>  	What I'd like to do is add one of (better names appreciated)
>  	     a) 'README_SUBDIR' in category Makefile which is appended to
>  		SUBDIR on 'make readme' and similar.
>  	     b) 'NO_BULK_BUILD' to package Makefile.
>  	What do people think?
>                  David/absolute
>  			       -- A pmap for every occasion --

I'd prefer the information to be stored in the package Makefile, but I'm not
happy with all the "NO_*" stuff we inherited from FreeBSD. In particular,
"NO_FOO= yes" has always struck me as being a cack-handed way of doing
things. So, how about

in, and in the individual package Makefiles have:

There again, I don't particularly like the actual term "BULK_BUILDABLE", but
that's just me.

Alistair Crooks (

Tired of slow Internet? Get @Home Broadband Internet