Subject: Re: net/ppp package borken
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: None <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/14/2000 00:23:36
On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> He's using NetBSD-1.4.2.  As far as I can tell, possibly because it
> doesn't update the kernel parts of PPP, the 2.3.11 that's in pkgsrc
> doesn't actually work on NetBSD-1.4.

Difficult to say what's wrong, with no 1.4.2 machine at hands, and not
much information either.

> Also, the package as it stands will DOWNGRADE a NetBSD-1.5 system from
> pppd-2.4.0 to pppd-2.3.11.

Give us an URL where we can get a 2.4.0 archive, and we'll look into
upgrading our pkg happily.

> I have significant concern about the rate at
> which people are duplicating programs from basesrc into pkgsrc, and this
> kind of version skew is the principal reason why.  I would very much
> appreciate it if before importing into pkgsrc a program that's also
> in the main NetBSD repository, people would discuss this kind of issue
> in the appropriate places -- which doesn't just mean "among the people
> who usually work on pkgsrc" because they're not the only ones impacted.

Now, *I* have significant concern that the base system doesn't provide
anything to upgrade some subsystems easily - tracking some branch and
building things themselves is the best people can do right now, and if
they rely on our releases, they can run with known security bugs for half
a year and much longer.

Compared to that, I'd rather see a package for them that offers a newer
version of the subsystem in question rather than leaving them out in the
rain.

And when we get the base system pkgized, we can even think about
*replacing* the components, instead of installing updated versions in
/usr/pkg.

But of course we can pester everyone with doing a release a week until
then, if you prefer that. Not taking into account that this isn't
possible, but you sure will handle that then. No problem...

> As it stands, naive users will probably break both their 1.4.3 and 1.5
> installations by installing this package, for example; while the code

I can only speak for 1.5, but the net/ppp package works fine on
1.5_BETA2/i386. If it didn't, you wouldn't see this.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>