Subject: Re: Some problems with gettext after libintl is now in the basesystem
To: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/01/2000 22:43:33
netbsd@arresum.inka.de (Bernd Ernesti) writes:
> ===> Registering installation for id-utils-3.2
> pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/id-utils.mo'
> pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/id-utils.mo'
>
> So, the file went into /usr/pkg/lib/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/ instead of
> /usr/pkg/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/
>

> After looking in po/Makefile I found this:
>
> datadir = $(prefix)/lib
> localedir = $(datadir)/locale
> gnulocaledir = $(prefix)/share/locale
> [..]
>         for cat in $$catalogs; do \
>           case "$$cat" in \
>             *.gmo) destdir=$(gnulocaledir);; \
>             *)     destdir=$(localedir);; \
>           esac; \
>

> What should we do here?
>
> Remove the check for *.gmo and use always destdir=$(gnulocaledir) ?

Take a look at sysutils/mc for how I've been trying to deal with this
problem.  Prior to trying to make packages SunOS/Solaris friendly,
I've just been adding the following snippet to configure scripts after
all the AM_GNU_GETTEXT stuff:

# Set DATADIRNAME to "share"
DATADIRNAME="share"
INTLDEPS=
INTLLIBS="-lintl"

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/