Subject: Re: JAVA_HOME [was: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/16/2000 22:36:11
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: > XXX: There should be a standard location not specific to PKG_JAVA for Java
: > packages, and there is no particular need for a DEPENDS on the JVM for
: > most packages (even an external-to-tree JVM is typically happy with the code).
: > This per-VM PREFIX, and particularly configurable JAVA_HOME, is not clean.
:
: I've added JAVA_HOME to allow it installing into the same dir it's found
: on Solaris, /usr/java. If you think that doesn't make much sense or it's
: more trouble then gain, feel free to remove it.

Gack.  That's a similar reason for a symlink as /usr/local/bin/perl.

My [humble] opinion is that pkgsrc should try to keep the paths consistent
where possible, for when binary pkgs can be created.  JDK_HOME is being used
currently to change between /usr/pkg/java and /usr/pkg/kaffe, for instance,
and that's kind of screwy if you want a binary Java pkg to work on "whatever
JVM is installed".

The JSDK (servlets), for instance, doesn't need any particular JVM to exist
in the tree, and doesn't rely on the JVM's path, so it could easily go into
PREFIX/lib/java with either a generic DEPENDS on all the known JVMs, or no
DEPENDS at all.

I put on my todo list to investigate this further, probably next week, to
make sure we don't really need it, and remove it if that's the case.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/