Subject: Re: hpcmips binary pkgs on ftp.netbsd.org
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/15/2000 19:27:52
}: > And I really wish hpcmips would put their
}: > binary packages in /pub/NetBSD/packages/ rather than in /pub/NetBSD/arch/
}: > since binary packages are currently the one thing I don't mirror.
}:
}: Can someone pf tje port-hpcmips folks please look into moving the hpcmips
}: binaries to the place they should be? Thanks!
}
}These binaries should be going into /pub/NetBSD/packages/<RELEASE>/mipsel/
}(since the binaries can be shared with pmax, etc.).

I suspect the problem is that they want trimmed binaries, so they don't
want to share across ports.  I assume that's why they've put them in arch.
(There was some discussion of this on the tech-pkg not long ago.)
I don't want them in arch, but that's likely why they're there.

}/pub/NetBSD/arch should be reserved for snapshots of -current (not release
}branches), specially patched binaries, special system tools, and similar
}things.

I actually thought release branch snapshots should go in arch too, as
the pre-release snapshots get mirrored by mirrors that don't mirror all,
but individual bits.  (I mirror via sup, getting every collection but
the binary packages (and all, of course).)  Since the pre-release
directories aren't included in the sup mirror collections, they don't
get mirrored.  I'd find it more convenient to have them in arch.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu