Subject: Re: pkg/11189: pkg tcl-8.3.2 won't compile on i386 1.4.1
To: David Rankin <drankin@bohemians.lexington.ky.us>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/10/2000 22:10:14
On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, David Rankin wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 05:38:55PM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, David Rankin wrote:
>
> > : /usr/pkg/bin/libtool --mode=link cc -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib tclAppInit.o
> > : libtcl83.la -lm -lc -Wl,-rpath,/usr/pkg/lib -o tclsh
>
> > I'm not sure where the "-Wl,-rpath" is coming from, as patch-aa shows only
> > the "libtool --mode=link -Wl,-R", which is actually not correct either.
> > The suggested fix in the PR may be correct; tcl is trying to do its own
> > handling, and botching it:
>
> configure is trying this and "figuring out" that cc "needs" these values.
> Since our patches put libtool in outside of configure's knowledge, I would
> suggest deleting the references to TCL_LD_SEARCH_FLAGS. If we really do need
> the -rpath flags, they should go in the same place as the -R flags.

The real problem is that libtool-1.3.5nb5 is stripping the "-Wl,"
arguments to "cc" on a.out. [It doesn't do that on ELF because it
doesn't have to -- on ELF, linking is always done with "cc". On a.out,
the new old behavior with nb5 is to link shared libraries with "ld",
while executables are evidently still linked with "cc".] Even if you
work around the broken libtool for this package, if you leave libtool
broken, there's going to be a lot of packages broken for a.out.

Frederick