Subject: Re: pkgsrc reorg
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/06/2000 11:54:16
On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 02:57:54AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, David Brownlee wrote:
> > 	True, but how about putting all the patches into a single file -
> > 	that would certainly save on inodes and disk fragments... Maybe
> > 	even gzip it.
>
> David,
> have you tried maintaining such a file? When you update a pkg to a new

Personally, I'm fine with the individual patch files, I just think it
should be an option to tgz (or something else) up all of /usr/pkgsrc
and have pieces extracted as needed.

Compared to the time to compile a pkg, extract time should be minimal,
and it would save a lot of space and inodes.

Is there any compressed archive format that is efficiently updatable?

(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods