Subject: Re: pkgsrc reorg
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/05/2000 21:05:23
Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com> writes:

> On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, David Brownlee wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > > I don't like that much. It's usefull to be able to fgrep through the
> > > Makefiles, or DESCR, or PLISTS.
> >
> > 	True, but how about putting all the patches into a single file -
> > 	that would certainly save on inodes and disk fragments... Maybe
> > 	even gzip it.
>
> Isn't that a step backwards? It's been my experience that maintaining
> the older packages which have many patches in one file is a real pain.

	I've had the opposite experience.  I've found it quite
annoying to track down which patches need to be updated, added, or
removed.  To some extent, pkgdiff helps, but I find it's much simpler
to generate one big patch.

	It should also be noted that having all the patches in one big
file makes having a flattened the pkgsrc directory structure have only
one file per package called patch versus, for some packages, 50+ files
called patch-aa, patch-ab, ... , patch-by, patch-bz.

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/