Subject: Re: Smaller graphical browsers (was: Re: mozilla)
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/05/2000 11:56:28
On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> Unrelated question: what's the way to go for Us Who Dont Have A GHz
> CPU At Home And Neither 10 GB Of Disk? Is there anything usable
> smaller than kfm? (which, alas, still isn't stable enough and needs
> all of KDE to be built)

Inferno has a web browser called "charon" which has ECMAScript/Javascript
1.1 support. I haven't got it to work under Linux emulation, and I think
that maybe source is available.

Arachne is available for linux. (I have used an old arachne is the past
under DOS; it worked good.) You have to register to get it; only parts of
it are open source; and is only free for non-commercial use.

Opera under Windows is VERY good. Last time I used opera under Linux it
was not good. Maybe it is better now and can work under NetBSD. I just
tried and "./opera: error in loading shared libraries: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory". I have
/usr/pkg/emul/linux/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/ -- so I'll try

Skipstone (I have not used) is a reduced Mozilla.

Another reduced Mozilla is Galeon and -- I haven't used it yet; I started to build it, but
the configure script doesn't find things very well.

I have used various others (under *BSD or Debian Linux) including:
armadillo, gzilla (old armadillo), grail, mnemonic (,
chimera, mMosaic (better than most), w3c's amaya (good but big) and

I think armadillo is dead, but a project stemming from it is dillo:
(which I just got a "file.c:19: pthread.h: No such file or directory")

Hope this helps,

   Jeremy C. Reed