Subject: Re: pkgsrc reorg
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/05/2000 12:29:11
[ On Thursday, October 5, 2000 at 11:21:55 (-0400), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: pkgsrc reorg
>
> On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
> : > Besides, do we really need that much time-travel capability in pkgsrc?  How
> : > about cvs repository moves--physical, at the file level--and just tell
> : > people "sorry, you need to nuke and re-checkout pkgsrc"?
> :
> : Yeah, move or copy.
>
> I meant *move*, as in "mv", because you could then nuke the subdirs entirely
> (hence the "sorry, ... etc." comment).

Yes, it would absolutely have to be a plain "mv" -- anything else
increases the laod instead of decreasing it.

However this would be a nightmare for anyone with any number of pkgsrc
working directories checked out (including one).  CVS doesn't take such
unorthodox reorganisation of the repository very well.

It makes a lot more sense to just start fresh with a new module created
with the correct structure right from the start.

--
							Greg A. Woods