Subject: Re: pkgsrc reorg
To: None <>
From: Martin J. Laubach <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/05/2000 15:51:50
| > 2) Keep the whole thing in a 'database' and provide a tool that
| > navigates it to allow the user to select packages, without having
| > the entire /usr/pkg tree extracted.
| Dood, that's what we have binary pkgs for.

  No, I think he means something long the lines of:

  - Ship pkgsrc containing only a Makefile for each
    package, plus one big tarfile containing the rest
    (organized as-is or with only a files/*, whatever --
    that is really orthogonal to this idea)

  - The Makefile will invoke

	if [ ! -e files ] ; then
		tar -C ../.. -x ../../bigtar.tar this/package

    and extract all the other files before doing anything else.