Subject: Re: RealAudio serving?
To: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
From: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/03/2000 10:16:10
There is a free 25 stream version for Linux and FreeBSD (you have to look
hard).  I had no trouble installing under NetBSD i386 1.4.2, but soon after
the server is launched, it cores (both versions).  BTW the FreeBSD 3.0
version is ELF and will not work under 1.4.2 at all (have to wait for NetBSD
1.5)  I have been told by others that they have successfully run realserver
under 1.4.1.  So I do not know if they have changed anything in the
realserver, if it's NetBSD's fault or I was full of bad karma that day.

Another option is to try QuickTime mov files.  you can crunch the files down
fairly well and the QuickTime client is very good at makeing the HTTP
download look as if it is streaming.  Now as to what to use to make mov
files, don't ask me, I just saw it done by one of our clients on a page we
host.

John Maier
Administrator
Midamerica Internet Services