Subject: Re: icecast
To: Harry W. Waddell <>
From: Alistair Crooks <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/03/2000 01:35:38
On Mon, 2 Oct 2000 19:58:29 -0700 (PDT), Harry W. Waddell wrote:

>  I need to setup some kind of internet radio and icecast looked like a
>  option. It looks like icecast, from, was made into a
>  last year, but appears to be gone now?! It looks like it would be easy
>  to get working, except that my first casual attempts at compiling using
>  pth package have failed.
>  So, if icecast was a package, why was it deleted? Was it a technical
issues, a
>  man-power issues, etc... Searching the mailing list archives indicated
>  that it existed, but not why it's no longer there. Also, has anyone
>  icecast working on -current or 1.4.3, as a pkg or otherwise?

I've had a look at the pkgsrc repository on the cvs server, and can find no
occurrences of the word "ice" in any package name except for icewm and
icewm-gnome, both versions of a window-manager, in the x11 category. It
looks like any package which was made last year was an unofficial one.

Having said that, icecast looks like it would be a really nice addition to
the packages collection. We're currently in a freeze on new functionality in
pkgsrc, due to the upcoming 1.5 release, but as soon as that's over, we'll
look into it.

>  Harry Waddell
>  Caravan Electronic Publishing

Alistair Crooks (