Subject: Re: PKG_TMPDIR @ /var/tmp
To: Julian Assange <proff@suburbia.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/22/2000 15:25:16
On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Julian Assange wrote:

: > Why would we prefer /var/tmp over /tmp for files that are unusable across a
: > reboot?  If the process is interrupted by a reboot, you can't `recover' as
: > with ex/vi....
:
: Because the staging area often needs huge amounts of space.

Yup, I wasn't thinking.  However, in that case, shouldn't it try /usr/tmp
first (if it exists and is writable)?  Most binary pkgs are targeted to a
sibling directory (/usr/pkg).  If the pkg tools can do a mv-in-place instead
of a copy-and-delete operation when installing, using /usr/tmp as preferred
staging would be a big speed boost.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/