Subject: PKG_TMPDIR @ /var/tmp
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/22/2000 14:54:45
Something just struck me as odd wrt PKG_TMPDIR.  From the pkg_* man pages:

     PKG_TMPDIR, TMPDIR
            These are tried in turn (if set) as candidate directories in
            which to create a ``staging area'' for any files extracted by
            pkg_info from package files.  If neither PKG_TMPDIR nor TMPDIR
            yields a suitable scratch directory, /var/tmp, /tmp, and
            /usr/tmp are tried in turn.  Note that /usr/tmp may be creat-
            ed, if it doesn't already exist.

Why would we prefer /var/tmp over /tmp for files that are unusable across a
reboot?  If the process is interrupted by a reboot, you can't `recover' as
with ex/vi....

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/