Subject: Re: Firewall packages
To: Bernd Salbrechter <bernd@mycity.at>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/17/2000 11:52:26
>Yes, but as I understood the posing I quoted, that was all ready
>agreed.
>Jun Ebihara and David Brownlee want to strip out the documentation
>and maybe other parts to get a small version for the firewall and
>small devices. For this they have to custom the PLIST and for clean
>working in the pkgsrc the install target, if the PKG_SMALL knob should
>work. I don't have the impression, that they want special configurations
>for other reasons.
>
>A practicable way to realize my idea would be to
>1. Add the support for it into the pkg tolls, clear we need support
>   for components, that are need in all parts. A package that have only
>   components, that must be install with every part is just whats now
>   in the pkgsrc collection.
>2. Work on the package PLIST as someone have time or the pressure to
>   support partial installation.

	or. (sorry if I misunderstood the goal)
	3. have a command line option in pkg_add, to ignore files under
	   certain pathname, like /usr/pkg/share/examples.

	the more we have options in package Makefiles, the more we will have
	a chance to get incomplete PLIST, so I find it easier to tweak
	pkg_add.  (openbsd FAKE packaging?  that is another question...).
	I understand that it could become a limiting factor.
	for example, if people want smaller binary (like removing NLS support)
	pkg_add modification will not help.

itojun