Subject: Re: Firewall packages
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Bernd Salbrechter <bernd@mycity.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/16/2000 23:34:08
On 15 Sep 2000 Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Bernd Salbrechter wrote:
> > PS.: Yes I know that would be a massive change in the pkg tools.
>
> The problem is, it would be a more major change to the pkgsrc collection.

Yes, but as I understood the posing I quoted, that was all ready
agreed.

Jun Ebihara and David Brownlee want to strip out the documentation
and maybe other parts to get a small version for the firewall and
small devices. For this they have to custom the PLIST and for clean
working in the pkgsrc the install target, if the PKG_SMALL knob should
work. I don't have the impression, that they want special configurations
for other reasons.

A practicable way to realize my idea would be to
1. Add the support for it into the pkg tolls, clear we need support
   for components, that are need in all parts. A package that have only
   components, that must be install with every part is just whats now
   in the pkgsrc collection.
2. Work on the package PLIST as someone have time or the pressure to
   support partial installation.

And with this many kludges can be removed from the package collection.
Anyway I think before starting to work in that direction a serious
discussion about the impacts should take place. Sorry I didn't have
enough knowledge in the pkg tools and the work of "bsd.pkg.mk".

Bernd