Subject: Re: Changes to the NetBSD Packages Collection in August 2000
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/14/2000 13:33:21
On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 01:53:57PM -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
>
>  > > I have thought about looking at the HELIX distribution of GNOME
>  >
>  > Well, I work for Helix Code, and I run GNOME out of pkgsrc. :) Works
>  > for me.
>
> Really?  Wow, on my laptop, it pretty much just dumps core a lot.

"gnomecc" hasn't choked on me, now, since I ripped the old screensaver
out of the control-panel package. "gnomecc" seemed to be the worst
offender. I haven't rebuilt all of gnome yet, though, so I'm not even
using gnome-session (But before, I could get gnomecc to crash without
gnome-session, even when it wasn't controlling much of anything).

I also have an idea to try to build gtk with xshm disabled. I suspect
shared memory because a lot a gnome spew seems to involve it, and gtk
support for it is outright broken in other ways, too -- you absolutely
cannot run any gtk apps on a remote server with a default NetBSD
installation, because stupid gtk doesn't allow for the fact that you
can't "share" memory between different hosts.