Subject: Re: Error when compiling teTeX
To: Michael Neumann <neumann@s-direktnet.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/14/2000 08:43:40
On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Michael Neumann wrote:

> I detected an error during compilation of "/usr/pkgsrc/print/teTeX".
> The package depends on "rx" (GNU's regular expressions),
> but it is not listed in the dependencies.

I'm cross-posting this reply to tech-pkg, because this is really a
package issue. For things like this, it's also a good idea to file a
PR with "send-pr" so your report isn't forgotton.

> After installing "rx", it compiles without any error.

When I updated libwww to 5.3.1, I patched it to drop the requirement
for "rx". If teTeX had been counting on libwww to pull in the "rx"
package, that might explain the problem. It would have gone undetected
by bulks builds against the old libwww, and by typical users who had
"rx" installed for some other reason. BTW, "rx" provides nothing our
libc doesn't provide -- it's just a question of patching configure to
accept "--with-regex" without "-lrx".

> Are there any problems when installing both binary and source packages
> mixed?

In general, no.

Frederick