Subject: Re: Proper upgrade methods?
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: Brian A. Seklecki - Stargate Industries, LLC - NOC <lavalamp@stargate.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/13/2000 19:51:11
Good question.

Often times I find myself pulling hair manually upgrading packages with the -f
switch/flag because of dependencies.

-lava

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, David Maxwell wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 18:17:28 -0400
> From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
> To: tech-pkg@netbsd.org
> Subject: Proper upgrade methods?
>

> I'm sure there's a right way to do this, and I'm obviously not doing it...
>
> I update my pkgsrc tree via sup.
> I find a new package that I want to install.
> It requires a newer version of something that I already have installed (tcl/tk in
> 	the one I just hit)
> The install halts.
>
> What's the proper thing to do if I simply want to install this package, and
> have all required updates installed too?
>
> --
> David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net -->
> (About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
> 					      - Jamie Woods

Brian A. Seklecki                       Stargate Industries, LLC
Network Operations Center               http://www.stargate.net/
The Crane Building, Suite 300           (412) 316-STAR x7719 - voice
40 24th St.                             (412) 316-7899       - fax
Pittsburgh, PA  15222                   BSeklecki@Stargate.Net