Subject: Re: Auto-generating PLIST vs. FAKE
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Marc Espie <Marc.Espie@liafa.jussieu.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/11/2000 12:18:24
I think I just found another application of having the actual PLISTs around:
some ports make weird assumptions as to linker paths, and they may end up
not building if another port installed first.

Consider gcc -L/usr/local/lib file.o -Llib -lwhatever -lcommon -o program

If there is a libcommon.a in /usr/local/lib, this line will link against it,
not the libcommon in the local lib directory.

Finding these dependencies can be non-obvious, having a list of all library
names might be very handy to try a build that would find those errors.

(The real case just occurred with misc/xtar and mbone/common in the OpenBSD
ports tree. I'm not sure NetBSD is affected, seeing as this is a side-effect
of our xpkg_wedge local equivalent.)

--
	Marc Espie