Subject: Re: When DEPENDS can be upgraded in place
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/09/2000 13:06:56
[ On Friday, September 8, 2000 at 22:30:36 (+0100), David Brownlee wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: When DEPENDS can be upgraded in place
>
> 	If we can agree, then we could look towards trying to teach pkgsrc
> 	about the two different types of dependencies, and simplify type 'a',
> 	which keeping the debate on how to handle type 'b' raging...

Shared libraries are only the most visible form of this kind of
dependency.  A purist on the software hygiene side would argue that all
dependant components should be treated as in `b'.  However some of the
obvious real-world examples are language interpreters where the language
is still evolving (eg. perl, tcl, etc.).

--
							Greg A. Woods