Subject: Re: When DEPENDS can be upgraded in place
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/09/2000 07:59:54
On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Tim Rightnour wrote:

> Rather than merging the pkgs.. perhaps we could simply edit the PLISTS of the
> old ones removing all the non-library stuff. so you could still remove it.
> That formula is especially useful if you are upgrading from 1.5 to 1.6, because
> the libraries are exactly what we still need for compatibility..

We could make a single "fake" package whose PLIST that has all the
stuff that should be removed, but can't be removed right away...

# pkg_info -T

The following files may no longer be needed on your system, and can be
removed with "pkg_delete -T":

/usr/pkg/lib/liblib.so.1.0

The fake package needs something like +REQUIRED_BY, so that
"pkg_delete -T" will catch you if you try to do it before updating
the dependent package(s). You could then safely run it on every boot
(based on a setting in rc.conf).