Subject: Re: When DEPENDS can be upgraded in place
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/05/2000 22:05:52
On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> BTW I'm still not convinced you're running in the right direction of the
> dependency graph here: If you take a 'desktop' pkg that depends on
> (required) a 'app' pkg, which in turn needs a 'lib' pkg:
>
> 	desktop
> 	app
> 	lib
>
> Why would the 'app' pkg want to know that it's depending on 'lib' when the
> problem in upgrading is that all you're dealing with is the 'desktop' pkg,
> really?

This (resolved wildcards) is for a different question completely. When
"app" doesn't run because the installed "lib" _is_ _not_ the "lib"
which "app" was linked against, what do you tell a user who bought the
CD? Throw away your CD and download all new, it'll be right this time
for sure? With a little more information, we'd have a chance of
determining exactly which packages are broken, and how. I don't see
the automatic package tools ever needing to know this.

Frederick