Subject: Re: When DEPENDS can be upgraded in place
To: Frederick Bruckman <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/05/2000 22:45:48
On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > How about a simple BUILD_DEDS+= DEPENDS BUILD_DEPENDS then?
> That doesn't help much. What I'm looking for is a list of the relevant
> packages (resolved wildcard dependencies) that were installed on the
> build system, at the time the package was built. The rest of my idea
> (a database of installed dependencies, keyed by wildcards) gets you
> this easily, but doesn't depend on it.

Shouldn't be too hard to use 'pkg_info -e', as does it to find
out if the required depends are installed.

BTW I'm still not convinced you're running in the right direction of the
dependency graph here: If you take a 'desktop' pkg that depends on
(required) a 'app' pkg, which in turn needs a 'lib' pkg:

Why would the 'app' pkg want to know that it's depending on 'lib' when the
problem in upgrading is that all you're dealing with is the 'desktop' pkg,

 - Hubert

Hubert Feyrer <>