Subject: Re: When DEPENDS can be upgraded in place
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/05/2000 00:56:05
On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > > For most of bsd.pkg.mk, DEPENDS -> BUILD_DEPENDS, so that you don't
> > > ever need to install the RUN_DEPENDS to build a package. For the
> >
> > This is exactly the reason RUN_DEPENDS went away: in order to run the
> > package after "make install" (which is needed for a "make package", as you
> > know), you have to install the RUN_DEPENDS next to be able to use it.
>
> In the binary package, the RUN_DEPENDS becomes equivalent to DEPENDS.
> So if you did a "make package && make deinstall" and then "pkg_add foo",
> it would pull in the right dependencies to run the package.

So one *must* pkg_add the just-installed pkg then only to pull in all the
pkgs it requires? Even although all the files are already installed
(because that's what the binary pkg was generated for)? And maybe just
nuke all the files first, because pkg_add would fail else?

I must be missing something obvious here - which problem did you want to
solve again?

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>