Subject: Re: GUI package admin tool
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/22/2000 05:14:49
(This is cross-posted to current-users, where the thread originated, and
tech-pkg, where it more properly belongs...)

(I am assuming that we are talking about pkgsrc as far as installing new
packages.  If you have in mind that you will only install from binary
packages, then things aren't so clearcut.)

IMHO, I would think it a mistake to build your list out of an Internet
repository of packages.  (Unless the user explicitly requests it.)  I see
the following potential problems:

 * Packages can get deleted from time to time.  The remote repository
   wouldn't list the package, even though it's available locally (and
   may make sense/be desirable, barring a re-update of pkgsrc).

 * The network may not be available from a particular machine.

 * If the user selects a package (or package version) for pkgsrc
   which isn't in the local /usr/pkgsrc, you will presumably end up
   pulling down a whole new pkgsrc archive.  This can result in updates
   to crucial libraries such as libpng, which can have a cascading effect
   of rebuilding _lots_ of other things.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu