Subject: Re: Sendmail 8.11.0 problem
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/19/2000 20:13:44
>  | It say's dbm in the stock NetBSD 1.4.2
>Sendmail can be built to use either or both of dbm and db (hash,btree,...)
>database methods.   On IRIX db isn't generally installed, so sendmail would
>have been using dbm.   For most uses, db is better (if for no other reason
>than there's only one file to open instead of two), so I guess the sendmail
>package has dbm disabled and only db installed (though why it doesn't leave
>both enabled, and just default use to db format I don't know, the cost is
>small, and for some unusual applications dbm is superior).

	when compiled for dbm (-DNDBM in sendmail compilation), sendmail 8.11.0
	tries to use dbm_pagfno().  NetBSD does not supply the function
	(/usr/include/ndbm.h disables it by a #define)

	db (-DNEWDB, IIRC) seem to work fine.

	see src/gnu/usr.sbin/sendmail/Makefile.inc for declarations that are
	currently enabled.

	not 100% sure how things are defined in NetBSD sendmail build
	in the past.  src/usr.sbin/sendmail/src/Makefile has the following
	declarations, just like the current declaration: -DNEWDB -DNIS

itojun