Subject: Re: please do not ever unconditionally 'strip' installed binaries!!!!
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <>
From: None <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/2000 13:57:32
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Please do not ever unconditionally 'strip' installed binaries!!!!
> I go to great pains to make sure my development system is friendly to
> debuggers, and normally this is done simply by using the following
> /etc/mk.conf settings:
> 	COPTS?=         -pipe -O2 -g
> 	HOST_CFLAGS?=   -pipe -O2 -g
> For the most part this works very well.  However a slowly increasing
> number of packages are unconditionally stripping installed binaries,
> often with a target like this in the pkgsrc makefile:
> 	post-install:
> 		@strip ${PREFIX}/sbin/fping

/usr/pkgsrc/mk/ obeys STRIPFLAG when coming up with the setting

So anything that is installed using INSTALL_PROGRAM should be right.  But
if not, I agree, we should check before stripping.

maybe like:
.if !defined(DEBUG_FLAGS)
	strip ${PREFIX}/sbin/fping

there's probably a better way, I just don't know it off the top of my