Subject: Re: NO_{SRC,BIN}_ON_{FTP,CDROM}
To: None <marc.espie@liafa.jussieu.fr>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@ftp.netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/2000 04:08:49
> > I feel it would be quite wrong to implement a change to the NetBSD
> > packages collection in order to be consistent with a decision taken
> > by OpenBSD 6 months ago, from which you seem to be distancing
> > yourself.
>
> Wow, weird conclusion.

Nothing weird about it at all. You're distancing yourself from your
decision 6 months ago by attempting to place the onus on us for
not influencing your decision. Next, you want NetBSD to apply your
"solution", which some of us find to be inappropriate, simply
because it's what you have at the moment. And now you start off
the "not a team player" fingerpointing. Gee, thanks.

> All I've been saying is that the actual names used don't seem to be
> such a design issue.  I wouldn't have asked for you to change your names
> if I felt the actual name was truely important.
> The keyword here is *gratuitous* incompatibility, and more confusion to new
> people.

Ah, yes, these "new people". Which new people? The one who commits
the package (or "ports", sigh) Makefile is the only one who has
any business in setting that variable. If you have problems with
people who have write access to your cvs repository, you have my
sincere sympathy, but I'd advise you to vet your committers in a
better fashion.

> Cutting down on the amount of divergence between various BSDs still seems
> like a worthy goal to me... no matter. If you don't want to play team at
> all, well, don't.

And "barging in" and imposing your inferior decision on others is
the right thing to do, just because you didn't think it through
properly 6 months ago?

"Yeah, right"