Subject: Re: NO_{SRC,BIN}_ON_{FTP,CDROM}
To: Marc Espie <Marc.Espie@liafa.jussieu.fr>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/2000 13:05:48
> All I've been saying is that the actual names used don't seem to be
> such a design issue.  I wouldn't have asked for you to change your names
> if I felt the actual name was truely important.

It's not the change of name but (a) you've got the logic inverted and (b)
force use of this (in my view seldom required) mean in each and every
pkg makefile.

> The keyword here is *gratuitous* incompatibility, and more confusion to new
> people.

I don't buy the "confusion" argument. Pkg authors (and manual as well as
automatic converters) should know what they are doing. Users don't look at
(working) makefiles, thats what pkgsrc is all about.

So the *gratuitous* incompatibility is a fix to your broken design. YMMV, of
course...

Martin