Subject: Re: NO_{SRC,BIN}_ON_{FTP,CDROM}
To: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@ftp.netbsd.org>
From: Marc Espie <Marc.Espie@liafa.jussieu.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/2000 12:37:44
On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 02:52:17AM -0700, Alistair G. Crooks wrote:

> To get back to the argument that you used previously, that of the
> vast number of users who will have immense trouble differentiating
> between the two systems - it has nothing to do with the users, rather
> everything to do with the people who commit the package Makefile to
> the cvs repository.

Well, there is a very small fringe line between people who submit new
packages (or old ones) and users... we don't make a brisk distinction
between users and developers, as you appear to do.

Everything can be confusing to the new user. And you can build as confusing
a system as you wish, you will still find people to make sense out of it.

> I feel it would be quite wrong to implement a change to the NetBSD
> packages collection in order to be consistent with a decision taken
> by OpenBSD 6 months ago, from which you seem to be distancing
> yourself.

Wow, weird conclusion.

All I've been saying is that the actual names used don't seem to be
such a design issue.  I wouldn't have asked for you to change your names
if I felt the actual name was truely important.
The keyword here is *gratuitous* incompatibility, and more confusion to new
people.

Cutting down on the amount of divergence between various BSDs still seems
like a worthy goal to me... no matter. If you don't want to play team at
all, well, don't.
--
	Marc Espie