Subject: Re: bsd.pkg.mk
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/25/2000 11:48:11
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > Unfortunately there's quite a few more. Do you want to change them
> > all, or strip the quotes in bsd.pkg.mk, or what?
>
> No idea, I've fixed the ones that I knew.
> Maybe using ${RESTRICTED:Q} would help (or IGNORE instead of
> RESTRICTED...)

Ahh... :Q is what I was looking for. I've committed a change to
bsd.pkg.mk based on using :Q to escape the metacharacters. I don't
understand what you mean by using IGNORE instead of RESTRICTED.

The only thing is, "RESTRICTED" isn't referred to explicitly, it's
{${def}:Q} where ${def} expands to RESTRICTED. I seem to recall the
recursive expansions weren't supported until recently, but it works
fine on my one year old 1.4.1 system, so maybe it's OK. If it turns
out to be a problem, we can make a special case of "RESTRICTED", but
I think it's better if every BUILD_DEF is escaped properly.

Maybe it would be good to revisit other occurences of ${ECHO} in
bsd.pkg.mk. ``${ECHO} "${foo} ${bar}"'' is pretty lame--the quotes
don't escape very much, especially not exclamation points or quotes,
so why bother? If there's a concern that "${foo}" contains arbitrary
characters, ${foo} should become ${foo:Q}, and if there's no concern,
${ECHO} doesn't need the quotes.

On another note, the export restrictions don't hold anymore. Maybe
it's about time we garbage collected all the RESTRICTED=Crypto...