Subject: Re: Question on package philosophy
To: James Chacon <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/25/2000 14:31:35
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, James Chacon wrote:
> In at least one case right now you can't do an unattended make (cddbd has the
> config script). On things like this with cddbd what is the general opinion
> here? In my local copy I patched to take an override from mk.conf
> so I can just set the appropriate vars up and shoot off a long term build.

package that require user interaction are marked with IS_INTERACTIVE=yes,
and if you set BATCH=YES in your /etc/mk.conf, these packages are skipped.
Of course it would be nice to decrease the number of interactive packages,
see [1].

You will face another problem when you simply compile things starting at
pkgsrc root: conflicts. A more proper way is to install a package, build a
binary package, then deinstall everything, and go to the next pkg. The
soon-to-come bulk targets will do that.

    is the output of the last bulk build, of the 70 unpackages packages,
    quite a number are interactive (not all, though!)

 - Hubert

NetBSD - because Unix isn't just #include <linux.h>, i386, ILP32, ELF, ...!