Subject: Re: openssl 0.9.5a imported in to netbsd-current.
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/16/2000 23:15:46
>> 	how should pkgsrc deal with openssl versions?  there are way
>> 	too many possibilities, including:
>> 	- very old openssl from pkgsrc
>> 	- openssl 0.9.4 from pkgsrc
>> 	- openssl 0.9.5a from pkgsrc
>> 	- openssl 0.9.4 in base tree, without RSA
>> 	- openssl 0.9.4 in base tree, with RSA (PATENTEDOPENSSLSRC)
>> 	- openssl 0.9.5a in base tree, with RSA
>pkgsrc should be brought to the same version as we have in base, and it
>should only be used on machines that don't have openssl installed
>elsewhere (i.e. 1.4.x systems). Re: RSA: I guess we have to leave it off
>now, but be prepared to enable it when the patent expires.

	some of the pkgsrc (like openssh) requires RSA support.  therefore,
	openssh/Makefile needs to identify if the currently-available
	openssl has RSA support or not.
	right now the simplest way is to always pull openssl pkgsrc.
	once we enable RSA on netbsd-current, pkgsrc will need to detect
	the availability of RSA code, as pkgsrc will be used on 1.4/pre-1.5
	too.

	we can identify the version of openssl by using the following:
		openssl version | awk '{print $2}'
	i don't have an easy way to identify RSA availability, at this moment.
	(nm /usr/lib/libcrypto.a?)

itojun