Subject: Re: netatalk and pkg/9948
To: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/13/2000 11:28:23
On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Johnny C. Lam wrote:

> Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com> writes:
>
> I'm not sure how what you're saying differs from what I said above.
> The config files are put in the right place, but no netatalk daemons
> are started automatically -- you have to actually (optionally)
> configure and start the service yourself.  So what's bad about putting
> the default netatalk config in place for people who just want the
> default?

If it's a fresh install, absolutely nothing is wrong with that, and it's
probably a good thing. My concern has been for all of the existing
installs, where we would be installing default files when there were
still-valid (format unchanged) config files in /usr/pkg/etc, which by
there very existance were put there by the admin. :-)

> That's a good point.  So perhaps the script should be more like:
>
> if [ -f ${PKG_PREFIX}/etc/atalkd.conf ]
> then
>     for file in \
>         AppleVolumes.default \
>         AppleVolumes.system \
>         atalkd.conf \
>         papd.conf
>     do
>         if [ ! -f /etc/netatalk/${file} -a -f ${PKG_PREFIX}/etc/${file} ]
>         then
>             cp ${PKG_PREFIX}/etc/${file} /etc/netatalk/${file}
> 	    chmod 644 /etc/netatalk/${file}
>         fi
>     done
>     cat << EOF
> Old configuration files were copied from ${PKG_PREFIX}/etc to
> /etc/netatalk.  You may want to remove the old files as they are no
> longer necessary.
> EOF
> else
>     for file in \
>         AppleVolumes.default \
>         AppleVolumes.system \
>         atalkd.conf \
>         papd.conf
>     do
>         if [ ! -f /etc/netatalk/${file} ]
>         then
>             cp ${PKG_PREFIX}/share/examples/netatalk/${file} \
> 		/etc/netatalk/${file}
> 	    chmod 644 /etc/netatalk/${file}
>         fi
>     done